Happy Friday, sorry I’m so behind, this week has been crazy. With friends graduating, my boyfriend moving back in, and about a hundred other things needing attention; I hope you understand! I am so excited for things to slow down when summer rolls around. As most of you know, I recently just turned 22 and just surpassed a year-to-date of being graduated from college. It’s kind of weird seeing how quickly a year goes by once you’re out of school, and to have so much changed and yet nothing at all has. I thought I would share a few pieces of advice, for any other young adults out there navigating this crazy world!
Enjoy 20 tips from a 20-something! Let me know what you think in the comments below.
1. Life flies by. Especially as an adult. It is so incredibly, vitally important to embrace every moment before it becomes a memory. Even if your life is not where you want to be right now, do you all that you can to live in the moment. I too, need to get better at this.
2. Embrace failure and the unknown. The real world is so scary, and I of all people know what it means to struggle with the concept of failure and not having an answer. As young professionals, we all need to get better at failing quicker, taking more risks, and embracing the unknown that lies ahead.
3. Let love in. Not just romantically, but with your friends and yourself. Love the amazing people in your life, let them know they are loved, and most importantly learn how to fully love yourself. Life is too short to not be loving everything about it.
4. Be a “yes” person. Don’t let things hold you back, while you are young is the time you experiment (within reason of course). Try new things, put yourself out there.
5. Keep learning. I can’t express enough how important continuous learning and personal development post college is. Think like a forever student, and absorb as much knowledge and skills as you can from those who came before you.
6. Find balance. I struggle with this one too, always working out too much or not enough, eating too many sweets or sticking strictly to a diet...sleeping in or not sleeping enough. You get it. But life doesn’t have to be black-and-white, it’s gray... so as long as you have balance in your life it’s completely alright to live it to the fullest.
7. Find time for laughter. I find this is the most important medicine and greatest stress reducer of all things.
8. Opt Outside. I may be biased having grown up in Colorado, but I am obsessed with the outdoors and I think a little mother nature is good for everybody, and great for getting yourself back on track!
9. Be grateful. I try to write down at least one thing I’m grateful for every day, and I am so fortunate to live the life I’ve been granted. You are too, don’t forget that.
10. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. We all have moments where were better, where we falter, where we say petty things... but try to remember that leading with a kind heart first will get you farther in life.
11. Smile Often. We don’t do this enough, and there is so much to smile about!
12. Embrace the weird. A boring life isn’t fun, learn how to love your authentic self and enjoy the weird aspects that make life so interesting.
13. Care More. I don’t care what you’re passionate about, just as long as there is something that drives you. Whenever I meet someone, I look for that spark in their eyes that shows they care so deeply about something, and that’s what makes their life interesting.
14. Don’t forget sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep can be a world of difference.
15. First impressions matter, but last impressions last. Try to continue to better yourself, with each new day. If you messed up, fix it and leave a stronger last impression.
16. Me time, please. As an adult I really strongly begin to appreciate the concept of me time. You really do need those moments in the day where you can just check out and focus on your needs.
17. Follow the happy. Seems like common sense, but sometimes you need to hear it. Follow what actually makes your heart sing, and don’t lie to yourself otherwise.
18. More snuggles. Or hugs, touches, handshakes... more physical human connection. Often times, people do not realize the value of simple intimacy.
19. Mindful measures. Every once in a while, don’t forget to look at yourself in the mirror and ask, “ am I happy? Am I following my values?” If that answer is no, try to reflect on why that is.
20. Sense More. Listen to more music, smell more smells, tastes new things. Experience every little thing that makes life fantastic as if it were the most important thing.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.